Health Care Advice

Flu (Influenza)

In most previously well people, flu viral infection is a self-limiting infection.

Symptoms are high temperatures, muscle pains and weakness. Treatment consists of rest, Paracetamol or anti inflammatories and plenty of fluids. For some people, such as the elderly and those with diabetes or heart, lung or kidney disease, flu can be a more serious illness; vaccination is recommended to help prevent it.

Contact the surgery for details of our flu vaccine programme which commences in October every year.



Diarrhoea is usually a self-limiting condition. You should drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration. The chemist can suggest medication to help if symptoms persist. If the problem is recurrent or chronic you should seek medical advice. If your child is badly affected please speak to one of the Doctors.


Back Pain

Back pain is a common problem and is often caused by lifting and twisting, leading to damage to the soft tissues (muscles and ligaments) of the back. Painkillers, such as Ibuprofen (which is available over the counter at the chemist but you will need to check with the pharmacist if you have stomach problems or some other medical problems) Solpadeine or Paracetamol are the mainstay of treatment, accompanied by rest. If the pain persists or you develop other symptoms then contact your Doctor.


Nose Bleeds

If a nose bleed starts sit down and squeeze the soft part of your nose for 10 to 15 minutes before checking to see that the bleeding has stopped. If this does not control the bleeding then telephone the Doctor or go to the local Accident and Emergency department.


Cuts and Grazes

Wounds should be washed with running water, then dried and left alone. If bleeding, then apply a clean dressing firmly to the wound for five minutes. If bleeding still persists or the wound is contaminated or dirty then seek the help of the local Accident and Emergency department.



If you burn yourself apply a large quantity of cold running water to the affected site until the pain subsides. If the affected area is large then seek medical advice.


Online healthcare advice

For comprehensive online advice on what to do and where to access help if you have a healthcare problem visit Health Help Now at This service can be downloaded as an app to your smartphone

For further information about the Practice policies and procedures please ask the Receptionists for the Practice Publication Scheme folder.

Dial 111
Dial 111 Only if:

  • you need medical help fast but it's not a 999 emergency
  • you think you need to go to A&E or need another NHS urgent care service
  • you don't know who to call or you don't have a GP to call
  • you need health information or reassurance about what to do next

NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Calls are free from landlnes and mobile phones for more information visit