When We Are Closed
When the surgery is closed urgent care can be accessed by dialing 111 which is the NHS 111 service (see below).
If NHS 111 identify that you require Primary Care services (such as a GP or Nurse) they will forward your call to South East Health who have been commissioned to provide this service when GP surgeries are closed.
For the Canterbury area the centre is presently based at Queen Victoria Memorial Hospital, Herne Bay. The service provides telephone advice and face to face consultations by appointment with a team of health care professionals, but please note that this is not a drop-in centre.
When clinically warranted home visits are undertaken.
The NHS 111 service is available for patients who require urgent medical care via the easy to remember, three-digit number 111. Calls from landlines and mobile phones are free and the service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to respond to people’s healthcare needs, when:
- they need medical help fast, but it‟s not a 999 emergency;
- they don’t know who to call for medical help or do not have a GP to call;
- they think they need to go to A&E or another NHS urgent care service; or
- they require health information or reassurance about what to do next.
Callers to 111 are put through to a team of highly trained call advisers, who are supported by experienced nurses. They use a clinical assessment system and ask questions to assess callers’ needs and determine the most appropriate course of action, including:
- callers facing an emergency will have an ambulance dispatched without delay;
- callers who can care for themselves will have information, advice and reassurance provided;
- callers requiring further care or advice will be referred to a service that has the appropriate skills and resources to meet their needs; or
- callers requiring services outside the scope of NHS 111 will be provided with details of an alternative service.
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.